Search This Blog

Monday, November 26, 2007

Painting Gingerbread Houses and Ribbons

It's that time of the year again when I mess up people's windows. The proprietor of this locksmith shop is named Tony, and he is one of the nicest people I have ever met. So every year I spend much more time at his window making art than I'm being paid for because he's such a pleasure to hang out with and do things for. Plus he does seems to love his work.

I know most artists with a sense of design would imagine that there are too many things going on in this window. But Tony seems to like it to look as crowded as his shop is inside, where it is lined with every conceivable toy concerning cool locks and safety items.

I told him that I'd seen a lock that was shaped as an oroborous - a snake eating its tail. It was a very cool lock, and he said he had to have it in his shop. Where I saw this lock was in a toy store in Woodstock, NY called "Tinker Toys." Wish their website had pictures of their toys and ways you could buy them, but that shopkeeper is already too involved in running their shop to mess with online access. Many of their toys need to be played with to appreciate them anyway.

Here's a little easier to see detail of the little gingerbread house and cookie people in the same pic above:


No comments:

Post a Comment