Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Truth for Yourself

What do you think of the questions on this page about how to determine truth for yourself?
by David Gorman

I really like the idea that he says we have a built-in value meter that tells us when something needs attention. I also enjoyed the way David outlines some of the points of how evaluating can be done by yourself.

It has always been curious to me how people will go to the trouble of training themselves to do a new thing, and it never occurs to them to consider or question the need for why add this new habit. I guess hindsight is 20/20 - and most other wise sayings apply here. It always also fascinates me how people can so easily misunderstand each other because they have such original meanings of the words themselves in how they tell themselves what to do.

It's always interesting to me how people mean a very different thing when they use a word. Take for example the word, "grounding." When different people say they are 'grounding' themselves, they all do a very different thing - so it's not a very good word to use if you want people to participate with you and do a specific action. It seems more accurate to describe the active parts of what you want people to do, because the word "grouning" seems to be a somewhat all-inclusive and popular word in certain unique subcultures.

Alexander teachers would think about how everyone is doing a different thing in response. Others might think of "wiping the slate clean" so they blank their minds. Some people think of their new age teacher, so they close their eyes to shut out distractions. Some think of their yoga teacher's class, so they inhale a big breath. Some people think of their American Indian ancestors or the sweat lodge, so they imagine their spirit animal. Others think of using creative thinking strategies to improve themselves, so they brainstorm. Some would think of their balance, sigh or yawn. Dialoguers would think of the holographic universe that allows the fly-eye perceptions of multiple realities, as I would. (But then I know I'm rarely representative of what most people would do.)

So this quality makes me much more careful how I tell others and myself to do something if I have a reason to communicate precisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment